Merry Christmas from all of us here at Walker-Winter Insurance in Missouri! We wish you all the best this holiday season, but most of all we wish you safe travels. If you happen to be one of the few that will park their car this holiday season we are very happy for you! However, if you are one of the 102 million Americans according to Triple AAA who are traveling this holiday season, we wish you safe travels. As you can imagine with that many people on the road accidents tend to happen which is why my wish for you is safe travels. There are certain days that tend to have the heaviest traffic flows and would be good to avoid if possible. This year Triple AAA predicts that the worst travel days are December 20th, 21st and 26th.
So no matter what days you will be traveling here are a few tips that will help keep you safe:
- Check your tires and fluid levels. Make sure everything is where it needs to be before you leave.
- Fill up with gas now in case you get stuck in traffic. Don’t wait until you are on the road.
- While the weather is looking like it is going to be mild for December be sure you have blankets, water and snacks with you in the car along with an emergency kit including: snow shovel, flashlight, ice scraper, jumper cables, warning device and extra warm clothes for everyone.
- Traveling with kids – be sure they are in the proper safety seats and using their seat belts properly.
- Get plenty of rest the night before…for many of you that means tonight. Research from the AAA Foundation for Safety found that drivers who get 1-2 hours less than the recommended 7 hours of sleep nearly double their risk for an accident.
If you prepare and use good safety precautions during travel you will make it to your destination, enjoy all the holiday fun and return home safely. Again, from all of us here at Walker-Winter Insurance we wish you safe travels as you load up your car and hit the road this Christmas!